Waking Up In A Tub Full Of Ice

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

IVOR CUTLER 1923-2006

Mention the great Scottish poet to most people and you'll get a blank look. But for years, the late, great Ivor Cutler wrote recorded and performed some truly magnificent stuff. Look it up, you'll be amazed.
The BBC's Andy Kershaw once told of booking Cutler for a show at Leeds University. Having been offered five hundred pounds for the gig, Cutler then successfully beat him down to four hundred and the promise of not having to be accomodated in a hotel. He stayed at Kershaw's student lodgings instead. Once there, Cutler was gazing out of the window into the street when two youths came staggering down the road and paused to spray graffiti on the fence outside. He watched with quiet interest for a while, then turned to his host and enquired; "Have they not learned to masturbate yet?"

Tomorrow night, at The Legless Arms, there will be a moment's drinking to mark the passing of this great man. I may play The Muscular Tree very loudly until my dear wife hits me to make me stop.

So, here to inspire you is one of Ivor Cutler's poems, No I won't;

I'll leave you with this thought.
No, I won't. It would not be fair.

By the way, if anyone out there has my copy of Life in a Scotch sitting room I want it back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home